Unix & X-Windows on 386SX

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Wed Nov 28 14:48:12 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov26.010554.574 at fiver> palowoda at fiver (Bob Palowoda) writes:
| From article <2389 at sixhub.UUCP>, by davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr):
| > In article <1990Nov23.182943.21094 at cs.dal.ca> newsome at ug.cs.dal.ca (SEX MANIAC IN TRAINING) writes:
| >         [ he wants DOS under UNIX and X ]

|   I really don't understand why you compare 3.2 version of UNIX to
| a 4.0 version of UNIX. I beleive the file system is a little different
| between the two.  ODT is 3.2 isn't it?  Why SCO's marketing ever gave
| it that name I'll never know. Every time I think of it I picture some
| desk that has a trap door in it and you open it up to take a look inside.

  He wants DOS under UNIX and X. Therefore I mentioned two products
which provide it. Hopefully I made the diferences clear.

| >   3) Both include X in the base price. Both list just under $1k, ODT is
| > discounted as bit, as it's been on the market longer.
|
|    I thought Dell was selling UNIX before SCO.

  ODT has been on the market for over a year. The Dell is just shipping
now, although it's been heavily beta tested.

|   What about Dell's 3.2 UNIX does it support about as many modes as
| SCO X11?

  I don't have the charts or anything here. Dell's v.3 and V.4 X
supports their GPX(?) card with tons of re$olution.

|   It appears the the DOS market is moveing to Windows apps. Does any one
| out there know if the Windows Development Kit runs under SCO's development
| system? Or has anyone been able to run Windows 3.0 under any version
| of 3.2 UNIX.

  There is a call which is supposed to be used by Windows to determine
the CPU type. Unfortunately W3 justs plays with the CPU, and not only
doesn't check it right, but doesn't get the right answer. There's a
patch for W3 to make it work on VP/ix, I assume it will fix DOSmerge,
too, but haven't tried it. No, I am not authorized to give it out.

|  I beleive you mean DV4 up there. Or DV3? Anyways it is a sad day when
| buyers are willing to pay more to take a feature out of product. C2 is
| not part of UNIX. It's part of the goverment. I like ISC idea you buy
| it in a different package. What's wrong with that.

  Security is only a feature when you need it. I have set up systems
without a password in the system, when there was one user and physical
security. I still used a few UIDs just to keep from shooting myself in
the foot, though.

|   The $825 price is the unlimited version. I beleive you where talking
| about two user version of Dell and SCO.

  Correct. But both include NFS which is extra (or was when I priced
ESIX) and ODT has an SQL engine, too. They are not identical packages,
and for the non-hacker I still like ODT, because it is relatively easy
to install and admin, while every review seems to agree that SCO
documentation is the best going (that's not a rave review).

  I can think of reasons to buy any of these products, it's just that
you have to weigh the disadvantages of each, and decide which provides
all the must haves and offers the shortest list of "wish I had's."
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX