RLL and ESIX

-Jeff Ellis jde at everex.uucp
Tue Nov 20 05:45:20 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov13.142439.155 at cimcor.mn.org> mike at cimcor.mn.org (Michael Grenier) writes:
>When installing ESIX and you have a big non-scsi drive, you must set
>partitions evenly if you are going to use FFS. It seems that the
>Fast File System will go right ahead and create a file system with more
>than 64K inodes. This is bad in System V which uses an unsigned short
>to hold the inode number in the kernel and will cause the kernel
>to panic when mounting the file system. Scsi installation checks for the
>above condition. ESIX technical support admits to the problem.

I have talked with the Guy that did the work on the newfs commandand we looked
at the source code. In ESIX Rev D beta we had a problem when using large
SCSI drives, newfs (called by mkfs) could make FFS file systems that had
more 64k inodes and panic the system. But it was fixed before it went
into production and the newfs command checks for that condition and
keeps it less than 64k. This works for all type of drives, not just SCSI.

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V  UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde
			US Mail: 1923 St. Andrew Place, Santa Ana, CA 92705