File system performance

Peter Brouwer pb at idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl
Thu Nov 8 21:10:00 AEST 1990

 In article <1990Nov06.120947.13551 at nstar.uucp> larry at nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>>Is there something that can be done "on-line" to de-fragment Unix partitions?
>>Or is the best bet to just backup and restore the partition using something
>karl at ddsw1 put together a diskpack package a year or so ago - I don't
>know if it runs under ESIX - or if it works on the FFS - but in any
>case, it's available on nstar.

I saw source of a diskpack utility posted sometime ago that will defragment
your disk but will use and set the gap size to 1. Be aware that this will not
always be the optimal value and it might decrease yoyr file system performance.

--
#  Peter Brouwer,                | Philips Information Systems,                #
#  NET  : pb at idca.tds.philips.nl | Department P9000-i Building V2,             #