^3 What ....... Dell UNIX V.4

Shaun T. Erickson ste at cbnewsm.att.com
Fri Nov 16 09:57:28 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov15.163432.17123 at dell.dell.com>, dewey at dell.dell.com (Dewey Coffman) writes:

> Q: Is Dell SVR4 available for non-Dell hardware?
>
> A: Absolutely!
>
>    We haven't formally tested our product on anything but Dell hardware so
>    far, so we're not in a position to effectively support the product on other
>    hardware.  Strong customer support is extremely important to us, so we have
>    been reluctant to make the product available except with Dell hardware.
>    However, we are willing to sell SVR4 to people who are willing to take it
>    "as is" for non-Dell hardware, and who will be understanding if it does not
>    support their specific hardware.  Our normal return policy would apply in
>    these cases with a restocking fee.  Support might be minimal or
>    non-existent, depending on the nature of the problems.
>
> 	Dewey Coffman
> 	Dell Computer Corp.
> 	9505 Arboretum Blvd.		DOMAIN: dewey at dell.com
> 	Austin, TX 78759-7299 		UUCP: dell!dewey, sooner!dewey

I called Dell last week and told them that I had a Swan 386/25 that I was
considering running Dell's Unix on. I asked if they would support it on this
machine, or would they say "Sorry, it's not a Dell machine, so tough luck!".
The gentleman went off line to speak with his supervisor and when he came back
he said that they would indeed support it - quote "If we sell it, we will
support it.". This would indicate to me that Dell would provide more than
"minimal or non-existent" support.

Which is correct?