Interactive 2.2 ULIMIT problem

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sun Nov 11 03:15:38 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov10.034318.602 at jadpc.cts.com> jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:
>>This would be much better if the capability to set the ulimit on a per-user
>>basis existed and all process starting jobs (login, cron, init) used that
>>value when initiating a job for a particular user.
>
>If you put a line in the .profile to LOWER the ulimit it will.

Note that I said all processes starting jobs, not just the shell.  Only
the sh (or ksh, if you have it) read a .profile.  Even then, the user
can change it if it is in their .profile.  If it is in the /etc/profile
file then the same value applies to all users unless you put in some
additional smarts to handle it on a per-user basis.

> As I remember, a user can lower their ulimit but not raise it.

This is true, but that doesn't mean that the lower ulimit will apply
for jobs submited for execution by at or cron.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170