slip

Daniel R. Jeuch DRJ100 at psuvm.psu.edu
Fri Nov 2 03:33:14 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov01.025031.12861 at virtech.uucp>, cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P.
Cahill) says:

>In article <1990Oct31.115338.4582 at nstar.uucp> larry at nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder)
>writes:
>>Are the new V.32 with v.42bis modems the way to go with SLIP?
>>Will it be possible to get throughput in the 15 kbytes range
>>with these new modems (in excess of the carrier rate - after all
>>the modem manufactures claim throughput in excess of 20,000 bps?)
>
>I wouldn't count on getting > 800byte/sec throughput with slip because
>you won't be able to use the error correction mode (it will conflict with the
>acks required by slip).

Admittedly, Even with a V.32 MNP5 capable modem, you shouldn't use MNP5
because it tends to slow things down.  But with a 9600V.32 MNP4 setting,
througput for me is on average .8-.9kb/sec... Not bad.  TN3270 is slow,
but it it nice to be able to FTP anywhere over a phone line!  :)
Of course, this also depends on how your host decides to feed you with
data... If you have last priority on the local net, you might not get
.9kb/sec.

P.S. This is average.  Believe it or not, I had a transfer of 1.01 kb/sec
     once.... but only Once.
-----
Daniel R. Jeuch                   Microsoft Corp. Student Rep.
10 Vario Blvd., Box 185           DRJ100 at PSUVM, drj100 at psuvm.psu.edu
State College, PA  16803          (814) 867-4622, (800) 232-5129