Running DOS Programs while under UNIX

Chad Price price at chakra.unl.edu
Mon Nov 26 12:55:55 AEST 1990

In <4325 at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US> cen at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Charles E. Newman) writes:

>       I read once that there are versions of the UNIX operating
>system for the IBM-PC family of computers that will let you run DOS
>programs while under UNIX. Is this true? If so, which UNIX systems
>allow this?

Yes It is true. No they do not run  bug-free..
At work (USDA Soil Conservation Service) we run AT&T 386's with SysV version
3.2(?). Word Perfect regularly drops keystrokes on my AT&T 605 terminal. The
605 has a PC keyboard hooked to a "normal" terminal. The WP preview option
(Shift F7, v) does not work except on the console.

We use the AT&T labeled version of VP-IX, which on the whole seems fairly
robust - from the console or from the terminals, it is possible to do what
on a regular PC would be a machine reboot (Ctl-Alt-Del) and not affect any
of the Unix sessions which are occurring concurently with the DOS session.
It obviously is a well-programmed use of the 386's virtual 8086 mode!
Chad
price at fergvax.unl.edu