lost inodes under ISC 1.0.6

Garry M. Paxinos pax at megasys.com
Mon Nov 26 20:06:34 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov23.131138.5137 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
   In article <1990Nov20.164220.9662 at cs.fau.edu> pax at cs.fau.edu (Garry M. Paxinos) writes:
   >Recently, the free inode count on the root partition started to decrease
   >until about a week ago the count dropped to zero.  Obviously the system
   >is now not operating...

   This is a known problem in just about all system V OSs.  The problem is
   that the OS thinks the free inode count goes to zero when it really
   doesn't.  Binary patches have been posted, but I don't think any of them
   were for 386/ix 1.0.6.

   The problem is associated with alot of file creations and deletions on
   a system (from your post I would guess that you are creating lots of
   files in /tmp or some other portion of the root file system).

Hi Conner,

  Thanks for the advice, but I've been bitten many times by the inode problem
you mention while running news for the past 5 years...  Unfortunately that
is not the problem.

  In the original post, I mentioned that only the operating system was
running and the our applications were not running.  Also, the system only
has one uucp connection (to us) and does not get any news.

  Also, fsck does not reclaim the lost inodes and as I stated before
comparing an 'ls -laR /' from one day to the next does not show anything
signifcant...  the inodes are just gone...

  Take care,
  Garry.

E-Mail:pax at megasys.com pax at ankh.ftl.fl.us g.paxinos at compmail.com
USNail:Megasystems, Inc.    2055 South Congress Ave,  Delray Beach,  FL  33445
UUCP  :{gatech!uflorida!novavax!ankh,  mthvax,  herctec,  attmail}!megasys!pax
Voice :407-243-2405   Data: 407-243-2407  Fax: 407-243-2408   Telex: 156281499
          "This is America, Right?!?!?"  member of 2 Live Crew