Performance differences between 386 Unices

Doug McNeil mcneild at mcneild.Software.Mitel.COM
Sun Nov 11 05:09:25 AEST 1990

First thanks to those who helped with my ULIMIT problem...

As the subject says I'm interested in comparing the performance of the
various flavours of UNIX running on 386's. Do porters usually do
significant performance tuning? ESIX, for example, advertises
performance specs which are significantly better than SCO 3.2. Driver
differences I understand, but things like _system_call_overhead_? Do
these people actually tweak the AT&T sources (and should this make us
happy, apprehensive?)?

(My interest stems from misspent youth, when I used to toil untold hours
writing in assembler, trying to extract more oomph from PDP-11's ;-)

Thanks