slip

Cerafin E Castillo cec at cup.portal.com
Fri Nov 2 07:50:21 AEST 1990

	Larry,
		V.32 is definitely the way to go for TCP/SLIP
	interactive sessions (telnet).  TELEBIT PEP works well
	with an ftp or other such bulk data transfers due to
	the nature of the packetization.  PEP is half duplex
	(adaptive duplex) and will be 'jerky' on SLIP telnet
	sessions.  But, then again, when the phone line is
	bad enough PEP will be the only modulation which will
	keep up good throughput.

		V.42 (LAP-M) will help keep line noise from killing
	your connection in V.32.  My experience with old SLIP is that
	V.42 will not cause a problem with ACK or other such SLIP packets.
	CSLIP (Van Jacobson RFC 1144) will also do pretty good with
	V.32/V.42.  PPP (Hobby/Perkins RFC 1134) with IP compression
	(VJ 1144) also exhibits good behaviour.

		My strong recommendation to you it that you use a T2500
	TELEBIT modem to do both V.32 and PEP, which ever is needed on
	a connection basis, to do SLIP/CSLIP/PPP.  Furthermore, I recommend
	that you switch over to using TCP/CSLIP or PPP with compressed IP
	to yield better V.32 throughputs, as well as PEP throughput.

		If your tired of hacking your kernel, try getting a TELEBIT
	NetBlazer.  This will make life easier for a lot of us Serial Line
	Dial-up IP users.  Call me if you need more info on any of this.

Cerafin E. Castillo                       ||      //\\  ||\\  ||
Network Consultant                        ||     //__\\ || \\ ||  Los Altos
Los Altos Networks                        ||    // ---\\||  \\||  Networks
340 Second St. #6                         ||___//      \||   \\|
Los Altos, CA  94022
(415) 941-8031      UUCP:     {apple,sun,uunet}!portal!cup.portal.com!cec
                 NTERNET:     cec at cup.portal.com

                      "...No hay mal que por bien no venga..."