ISC 2.2 and SLIP have some pretty major problems!

Jim Deitch jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com
Sat Nov 10 14:54:05 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov09.064033.8282 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl at nis.naitc.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>In article <1990Nov09.011135.18395 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> kdenning at nis.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) writes:
>>
>>We are having a hell of a time getting this to work.
>>
>>Here's the deal:
>>	We have one machine which has a bunch of Telebit 2500's.  We would
>>	like anyone to be able to log in under SL/IP that has the
>>	appropriate login id and password.
>
>I have basic functionality (including routing dynamically using gated).
>There are a number of problems with the stock setup, which I'll go into in a
>moment.
>
>Here's the remaining problems:
>
>>	The problem is twofold:
>>		1) The system requires a system name when you set up SL/IP.
>>		   The problem, of course, is that I don't KNOW what which
>>		   system will call!  ARGH!
>
>This is still a problem.  There is a TCP/IP address to set here, and how is
>one to know what it will be until the connection is made?  There has to be a
>way to do this intelligently... if not, it's time to hack some code...
>
>I >could< tell people to all use the same address.... but then I am limited
>to one SLIP connection (I may be limited to one at a time anyway by ISC's
>software)
>
>>		2) It also wants a line name (ie: /dev/ttyxx).  Again, what
>>		   if I have a bunch of lines on a rotary?!  Grrrrr...
>
>This turns out to be a non-issue... it doesn't really need to know the line
>you come in on, or at least I can't see where it actually uses the
>information you give it.
>
>However, some problems remain:
>
>1)	/etc/gated doesn't recognize when the interface comes back up after
>	a connection is dropped.   This stinks; I want the system to
>	automatically reestablish the routing tables (I think this is a
>	rational requirement).  As things sit now even a "ifconfig sl0 down"
>	followed by "ifconfig sl0 up" doesn't reprime /etc/gated; you have
>	to kill and restart it before it will realize that the interface is
>	back online.  This is horrible!  It also does NOT happen with the
>	"real" interfaces.  An attempt to tell gated that both the real
>	ethernet board and the SLIP port were "passive" interfaces failed
>	with no diagnostic message (ie: /etc/gated just exits if I do this
>	with no indication of why, even in "-t" mode).
>
>	Note that it >does< correctly recognize when the line goes down and
>	deletes the routes that were established.  And also note that it
>	works as designed with real ethernet boards.
>
>	Having to stop and restart /etc/gated manually everytime I start up
>	a SLIP connection makes dynamic routing nearly impossible to deal
>	with.
>
>2)	The IP number is a REAL problem.  This is especially bad if I want
>	to support more than one SL/IP connection at a time.  Then again, it
>	appears that ISC doesn't handle that anyway, so perhaps it's no big
>	deal.
>
>3)	sldialup is a horrible botch; I need to redo that.  In addition to
> [...]

Karl,
  Where the hell have you been?  ISC has a shell, like uucico, called
/usr/ucb/sllogin that will allow a user to login and start a slip
session.  When the modem hangs up it will drop the connection and be
ready with getty for whatever comes it's way.

I agree about sldialup, try sending a break, using control b as they
suggest in the manual, and watch what happens.  You are left standing
there with a non connected slip because you exited right back to the
shell.

Maybe you should RTFM all the way through.  I had slip up and going
just fine here with 4 machines calling in in about 4 hours, and I am
no rocket scientist.

Jim

--

UUCP: nosc!jadpc!jdeitch