Separate /usr/spool partition possible?

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Thu Nov 22 04:46:39 AEST 1990

rob at xyzoom.info.com (Rob Lingelbach) writes:

>I am about to start a bbs under ISC 2.2, and I only have 2 filesystem
>partitions, / and /usr.  I am concerned about fragmentation, and want
>to move my news SPOOLDIR out of /usr, and have the bbs file area there
>as well.

	I wouldn't worry about fragmentation under ISC 2.2; its FFS
	does an excellent job keeping it to a minimum. In any event,
	except for the binaries and data files (esp. if using nn, for
	example) most News data is found in small files anyway, so
	fragmentation is not so critical an issue.

>If it's permissible, I intend to back up the system, then reinstall,
>creating 3 partitions, /, /usr, and /usr/spool.  Then restore
>(hopefully files from the old /usr/spool/ will go into the new
>/usr/spool/).

	Technically speaking, you don't "create" such partitions. Rather,
	you create filesystems and simply "mount" them at specified points
	in the root hierarchy.