Unix release 4.0

Tim Wright tim at delluk.uucp
Tue Nov 20 20:30:25 AEST 1990

In <12423 at uudell.dell.com> jrh at mustang.dell.com (James Howard) writes:

>In article <1990Nov18.122854.6911 at nstar.uucp>, larry at nstar.uucp (Larry
>Snyder) writes:
>> Has anyone used smart serial port drivers written for Unix
>> SysV rel 3.2 under SysV rel 4.0?  We have a computone
>> intelliport - and are wondering if our 3.2 drivers will
>> run under 4.0?
>>

>the 3.2 computone drivers were not very reliable on V.4.  Computone has
>come out with 4.0 drivers for this card however.

I have this vague recollection from the "porting guides" that streams
based drivers must be recompiled due to changes in the data structures.
I don't know how many smart port card drivers are streams-based but I
think a number of them are.
Anybody care to comment ?

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Tel: +44-344-860456                  | Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
"What's the problem? You've got an IQ of six thousand, haven't you?"