How much does source cost?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Tue Nov 13 06:09:33 AEST 1990

>Pay attention Guy.  He did say "in your lifetime".   Which I took to
>mean that he knew that there will be a wait before the complete, free
>Mach is available.
>
>But everything I've heard says that a completely free Mach IS being
>worked on seriously.  It might not be available next year, but hopefully
>in our lifetimes.

Whether a "complete, free Mach" is relevant to the question depends on
what "Mach" means here.  Unless the folks at CMU doing Mach are the ones
planning to come up with the whole thing, I'd say that a "completely
free Mach" is only *part* of a completely free UNIX-compatible OS.

I.e., you'll have to support more than just the stuff CMU is doing with
Mach, whether the "more than just Mach" is the stuff Berkeley is doing,
or the stuff that FSF is doing, or whatever.