Problems with an Intel 486 chip

Thomas Hoberg tmh at bigfoot.FOKUS.GMD.DBP.DE
Wed Nov 28 10:50:14 AEST 1990

|> I don't know about Q0129; when I bought mine, I was told it was a "B5"
|> and the only place I found B5 on the chip was on the bottom, which means
*** Ahh, there it is then... ***
|> if you want to know what you've got, you'll have to pry the thing out
|> of its socket.  I've heard that there are B6 and C0 revs out.
|> --
|> Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
|> kaleb at thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

I read something like ...308... on mine and hoped it would at least be a B6.
Now Intel doesn't seem interested in publishing bug-lists (been quite a hot
discussion about that elsewhere) but I would still like to know about those
obscure floating-point bugs. Compaq used to publish a disconcerting bug list
for the 386 in their tech manuals, which I thought grand. It's difficult enough
to trace compiler bugs (companies are very silent about those, too--too bad
GNU Fortran isn't there yet). I'd appreciate it very much, if somebody could
provide pointers to 486 bug lists and diagnostics programs. BTW. those 32-bit
Intel CPU's are supposed to report their revision ID's after reset. I'm afraid
my BIOS trashes those before I ever have a chance to look at them (even when
doing a SHUTDOWN #9 return).
----
Thomas M. Hoberg   | UUCP: tmh at prosun.first.gmd.de  or  tmh%gmdtub at tub.UUCP
c/o GMD Berlin     |       ...!unido!tub!gmdtub!tmh (Europe) or
D-1000 Berlin 12   |       ...!unido!tub!tmh
Hardenbergplatz 2  |       ...!pyramid!tub!tmh (World)
Germany            | BITNET: tmh%DB0TUI6.BITNET at DB0TUI11 or
+49-30-254 99 160  |         tmh at tub.BITNET