Xenix binary memory useage on 386 UNIX

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Tue Nov 6 09:53:43 AEST 1990

> 	Anyone know why Xenix binaries consume about 4 times the memory of
> that used by the same program compiled under UNIX? BTW both are run on
> the UNIX box. Is both code and data shown for Xenix executables on the ps
> list?

I don't know why in your case, but I have found that some Xenix-286 runtimes
depend on some feature of Xenix whereby they can request a *segment* smaller
than 64K. Unix System V with x286emul satisfies this request with a 64K
segment. The effect of this can be easily imagined, and is one reason we
are still using Xenix 286 on our 386 boxes.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`
peter at ferranti.com