Esix Rev D. FFS and/or SCSI -- beware

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Sat Nov 10 11:25:31 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov5.180148.1046 at ingres.Ingres.COM> seg at Ingres.COM (scott e garfinkle) writes:
>Just to warn prospective users of Esix.  First of all, their fast file
>system (the Rev. D apaptation of the Berkeley FFS) appears to be flaky.
>It will not work at all on my system.  On a friend's system (a normal RLL
>drive and 25 mHz board), it caused the loss of an entire (root) file
>system.  I have heard that others have had similar problems.  If you
>are currently using their FFS, think about it -- sometimes their fsck
>program doesn't recognize it as an FFS and proceeds to try to do an
>automatic s51k fsck!  Also, the fs is apparently not appreciably faster
>for many applications, in any case (that is, in this incarnation).

And on my system the FSS is working flawlessly.  Using 660 meg Maxtor 8760E
ESDI,  and running a full news feed.  Have had NO problems at all.   No
crashes, no lost files.  fsck performs properly every.  The system only
needed it after power failures.  Maybe it's your RLL system.  I have seen
more problems with RLL's than any other type.  It has never been a robust
drive handler from the observations I have made.

>These are my own opinions, unrelated to my employer.  In fact, I would have
>posted them from home if Esix wasn't crashing so often.

As I said this system is running a full news feed.  One of the sites I
distribute to is also running ESIX.    We DON'T have crashes.

Check your hardware - that's always the first suspect in a crash from what
I have experienced.

bill

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP