Tar Tape problems

Jim Deitch jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com
Wed Nov 21 07:58:28 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov19.153249.4308 at wdl1.wdl.fac.com> rme at spl26.spl.fac.com (Richard M Emberson Jr) writes:
>I've got a 386 AT clone, ISC2.2, and an Archive drive. After reading four
>or five tape (tar -xfv /dev/rmt0) the next attempt to read a tape hangs.
>I can kill the process but the device remains busy. The only way I
>have found to clear the busy device is to powerdown to the reboot state.
>
>Is there a way to fix this?? Can I unbusy the device?
>
>Richard M. Emberson
>rme at spl1.spl.fac.com

Hmmm... I told Archive about this 3 months ago.  They said they had
never heard of it, nor experienced it.  I just got off the phone with
them and apparently there is a new driver for ISC 2.2.  The girl on
the phone didn't know if the new driver fixed the problem or not.
Hopefully someone from Archive will call me back before  get old and
gray to tell me that they will be sending me the new drivers.  I will
let you know what I turn up.

Jim

ARPANET:    jadpc!jdeitch at nosc.mil
INTERNET:   jdeitch at jadpc.nosc.mil