Why do you want a 512 byte block file system anyway?

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Thu Nov 29 02:12:18 AEST 1990

tim at delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) writes:

>Reduced waste of space due to wasting on average 1/4K in the last block
>instead of 1/2K. I think the original problem may have been down to not
>specifying the FSTYPE to fsck and mount - they may not autodetect - I can't
>remember for sure. I might try it some time if I get a disk with some
>room on it :-)

	While the 1/4K figure might appear to be intuitive, running fsanalyze
on my small ISC 2.2 system showed waste due to unfilled blocks to be less
than 4% for root, 7% for /usr and /usr2. I'd done a few spot checks some
time back to validate these figures, and they seemed to be on target.
Assuming these figures are anywhere near the actual, the performance boost
from a 1K block file system makes for a clear win.