ESIX and RLL contollers

Buster Irby rli at buster.irby.com
Wed Nov 7 15:49:26 AEST 1990

dt4100c at medtron.medtronic.com (Derek Terveer) writes:

>In article <1990Oct10.232255.25221 at metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> glenn at suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (Glenn Geers) writes:
>> through the installation guide for supported disk controllers I am led to
>> believe that it will *not* support the WD1006VSR2 RLL controller

>I have never been able to get rll controllers to work reliably with either rev c
>or rev d of esix.

Well, I have had no trouble at all.  I am running a WD1006SR2 and
a Maxtor XT-1140 drive.  To make it work, you must use the WD
bios on the controller and select the drive parameters there.  In
spoofing mode the controller will override the standard bios drive
parameters.  This causes the Maxtor to be 190MB instead of 115MB.
You should also do your formatting through the controller instead of
through unix.  I ran it like that under Esix rev C for 9 months and
am currently running ISC Unix 2.2 with no problems.
--
Buster Irby  buster!rli