File system performance

Mike Burg mburg at unix386.Convergent.COM
Thu Nov 8 07:16:50 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov5.225213.11920 at unixland.uucp> bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>In article <1990Nov5.154056.4737 at pegasus.com> richard at pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>>>Rev D of Esix has what they call the FFS (Fast File System).  I don't
>>>know if that is a BSD file system or not...
>>It has long file names doesn't it?
>No, Esix has a 14 character limit on filename length.

Well, when I was still working at ESIX and porting the FFS to System V, I did
add a "directory flag" into the super block stating which directory style
to use. Either the System V style of 14-characters, or the original BSD 255
character style. However, that was over a year ago and I haven't really kept
in contact with them to see what was the final turnout. (It seems that either
some notes of mine got lost, or someone didn't like that feature after
I left :-) :-))

The reason for the two directory layouts was for those programs that still were
using the old open("."), read(.., &dir, sizeof(struct dir)), method instead
of using opendir/readdir to retrieve the filenames in a directory. I was
very surpised to see a mass of system utilities in 3.2 that still used the
former method.