SCSI error -- medium changed in drive

Martin Minow minow at mountn.dec.com
Wed Nov 28 03:33:56 AEST 1990

In article <66.UUL1.3#1 at vortex.COM> lauren at vortex.COM (Lauren Weinstein)
writes:
>*** DEVICE ERROR: Medium has been changed in drive ***
>Does this look familiar to anyone?  Thanks.

Hi Lauren, long time no see.  There is a "medium changed" sense code
that the drive can return.  It really only is relevant to floppy and
cd-rom devices that are under operator control.  It is possible that
your drive/controller returns that when the processor executes a
mode select (that changes drive parameters), but that doesn't accord
with my understanding of SCSI-II.

If you can get a dump of the actual extended sense data block (from the
error log?), I could take a swing at interpreting it (the interpretation
should be in your drive's manual, or in the SCSI-II spec if your drive
supports the common command set).  For now, I'd treat it as a non-serious
glitch.

Martin Minow
minow at bolt.enet.dec.com