UNIX System V

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Fri Nov 23 14:37:13 AEST 1990

In article <4350 at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US> cen at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Charles E. Newman) writes:

|     A friend of mine may be able to get AT&T UNIX system V at a
| discount for me.
	[ ... ]
|                            Can I get away with running on a 8086 or
| 80286 machine. An 80386 motherboard is too outraegeously expensive,
| about $2000, which is too much money. How much hard disk space do I
| need. I currently have a 20MB hard disk and average about 8 to 12
| megabytes free at any one time.

  In a word, forget it. 386SX boards are going for < $400, + about
$50/MB for memory, and you'll need at least 4MB. If you think that's too
expensive then the price of the 100MB of disk you'll want is going to
break your heart.

  UNIX takes some room to deliver all that performance.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX