SysV.3 to SysV.4 binary compatibility.

0257014-Robert White140 rwhite at nusdecs.uucp
Wed Nov 7 12:09:43 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct31.204646.27825 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>No he didn't.  In fact, I asked Dick about it; he claims that not only did
>he *not* say that, he can't imagine why it would be so.  He made some vague
>hand-wavy argument that if the program's already linked and all, the size
>of the code and data ought to be pretty well tied down.  I dunno.

Here is a WAG for you.

In my SVR3.2.1 there is a shell program that gets run around any
XENIX executables.  It does some cleanup on the arg types where
there were compatibility problems.

The same thing seems like a likely possibility for any SVR4 that
whants to run SVR3 stuff but that has some problem with something
spesific.

That would make it take more memory.

Rob.

Like I said, just a WAG. (I smell a disclaimer ;-)