File system performance

Bill Heiser bill at unixland.uucp
Tue Nov 6 09:27:33 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov3.222929.2164 at servalan.uucp> rmtodd at servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) writes:

>  Well, that's how FFS works on other machines (I've hit it on Apple Unix
>2.0, which includes Berkeley FFS).  Hitting the no-free-blocks limit when
>you've got 5M free in fragments is a little unusual; I was hitting the

Is there something that can be done "on-line" to de-fragment Unix partitions?
Or is the best bet to just backup and restore the partition using something
other than 'dump'?  My /usr partition is at 6% fragmentation (according to
fsck) -- The system has only been up for a couple of months, and I've been
getting usenet news for a few weeks.  That seems like a lot for such a short
time.  I'm using the Esix ffs.  (I haven't done anything with the Esix
"2K file system utility" yet -- I'm not sure what is on that disk-- been too
busy to experiment...)

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill at unixland.uucp,  bill%unixland.uucp at world.std.com
	Public Access Unix  - Esix SYSVR3 - (508) 655-3848
other:	heiser at world.std.com   Public Access Unix (617) 739-9753