slip

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.uucp
Fri Nov 2 23:02:30 AEST 1990

DRJ100 at psuvm.psu.edu (Daniel R. Jeuch) writes:

>Admittedly, Even with a V.32 MNP5 capable modem, you shouldn't use MNP5
>because it tends to slow things down.  But with a 9600V.32 MNP4 setting,
>througput for me is on average .8-.9kb/sec... Not bad.  TN3270 is slow,
>but it it nice to be able to FTP anywhere over a phone line!  :)
>Of course, this also depends on how your host decides to feed you with
>data... If you have last priority on the local net, you might not get
>.9kb/sec.

Well, with the T2000 - I get right round 1kb/sec and with the 2400
baud modem - I get right around 1.5 kb/sec which is "fair" I guess.

I received a message that stated if our (I am running ISC 2.2) SLIP
uses compressed headers we would get better throughput -  also
I should wave RFC1144, RFC1171 and RFC1172 at the ISC developers.

Comments from ISC?

 {larry at nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar%larry at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)