shl crashes SCO UNIX 3.2.1

Tim Wright tim at delluk.uucp
Tue Nov 20 04:30:35 AEST 1990

In <1990Nov17.213527.14378 at ping.uucp> gorpong at ping.uucp (Gordon C. Galligher) writes:

>In article <8244 at star.cs.vu.nl> rvdp at cs.vu.nl (Ronald van der Pol) writes:
>>I created shell layers with 'mkdev shl', started 'shl' and
>>typed 'create foobar'. This crashed the system. Is this another
>>one in the endless SCO bug list? Are panic messages saved in
>>some kind of file???????? (sorry, I seemed logical to me :-)
>>(Compaq systempro/20 MB RAM/SCO UNIX 3.2.1)

>I have had the same problem on a 4 MB 80386.  I have narrowed it down to
>'stty intr'.  Search in your .cshrc (or .profile) file for stty intr ...
>If I remove them from the file, then I get a shell; and if I type:
>	$ stty intr
>	POOF
>System reboots.  If I type 'tty' it tells me 'not a tty.'  According to
>the manual page, shell layers are supposed to act exactly like a TTY.
>Apparently they do not.

>I have seen a followup to this mentioning something about "It is not SCO's
>fault."  I beg to disagree.  I have used Interactive's 386/ix before, and
>their shell layers work just fine.  SCO's is broken.

Yep, it was me. I thought the reference was to the original layers bugs.
It appears that SCO "enhanced" these :-)

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Tel: +44-344-860456                  | Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
"What's the problem? You've got an IQ of six thousand, haven't you?"