slip

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Fri Nov 2 14:23:18 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov01.145738.16101 at nstar.uucp> larry at nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>But I thought that SLIP assumed the hardware (modem link) supplied the
>error correction - not TCP/IP itself - am I wrong?

If I remember correctly,  SLIP itself does not have error correction.  However,
the layers above it (TCP in most cases) will usually have thier own
error correction.  The main exception to this is the UDP protocol (which is
used by NFS).

Even without the error correction problem the IP datagrams still have an
packet/ack protocol.

>So for SLIP you are saying I don't want MNP enabled?  How about v.42bis?

I would think that either of the protocols (due to thier own packetization)
would result in lower throughput.

Wait for an implementation of PPP to get good throughput over serial
lines.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170