What about a Microport System V/386 3.0.1e --> 3.2.2 Upgrade?

Bill Kennedy bill at ssbn.WLK.COM
Sat Nov 10 13:34:41 AEST 1990

As the summary suggests, I answered this article by email and I hadn't
planned to post my reply.  My reasons for not posting were that what
I had to say to Richard Ducoty has little to do with the net at large.
After I received several pieces of email asking what my response would
be I concluded that what I have to say is of some interest to the net
at large.  Realize that much of what I have to say is to Microport, Inc.
and Richard Ducoty.  On the other hand, I invite and solicit comments
from others who might confirm/deny/augment/destroy those remarks.  I
think that Microport, Inc. and the net would like to know.

In article <5 at mport.COM>, duc at mport.COM (Richard Ducoty) writes:
> Bill -
>
> From your recent posts and others, it is obvious you have a grudge against
> Microport Systems.  We are not Microport Systems - we're Microport Inc.  This
> is an entirely new company; new people, new site, etc.  I would hope that
> you would judge us on our actions and products, not those of another company
> with a similar name.

Let's review the bidding just briefly.  Wolf Paul, in Austria, has been
needling a bit to see if there is any hope for fair treatment of
Microport Systems' customers by Microport, Inc.  Richard Ducoty, at
Microport, Inc., has been telling us how great Microport, Inc. is and
what good deals they have to offer on System Vr4.  I have been grumbling
and growling that Microport, Inc. sounds so much like Microport Systems
that we should all exercise considerable caution before we accept them
as the vendor capable of curing everything from the crucifixion of Christ
to the common cold.

I think that's a fair synopsis, I invite and welcome comments that improve
its accuracy.  Further, I'll concede that I bear a considerable grudge against
Microport Systems, I think I said "I wouldn't piss on them if they were on
fire".  If I didn't, I just did.  I have not, however, confused Microport
Systems (a firm for which the realities of the marketplace worked like our
classes in school said they would) with Microport, Inc. (a firm who only bears
a resemblance by using the same logo and omitting "Systems" from their name).
Nor have I overlooked that they are an "entirely new company; new people,
new site, etc." just because they have new personnel, new articles of
incorporation, and new quarters in Scotts Valley, CA, using the same logo and
differing from the other firm's legal name for lack of Systems\0.  It is,
as Richard Ducoty says, "a similar name".  But I'm not confused.

> If you have ever been involved in the software business you must realize that
> a few people inadvertently fall between the cracks.  If this has happened
> to you, I'm sorry.  I'ld be interested in knowing why you have such an
> animosity towards us.

I bear no grudge for Microport, Inc. (recall I harbor considerable animosity
for the predecessor company whose intellectual property you sell).  Yes, I
was among "a few people inadvertantly" who fell through the cracks.  There's
a difference here and anyone still reading by now will just have to endure it.

I suggest, and my posted articles should confirm, caution with any vendor
who appears with a spokescreature who promises the panacea.  As I said in
email, I think it was a grievious error to look so much like Microport
Systems when there were such deep seated and (deserved) hard feelings for
that firm.  It's worrisome to me that the look and feel of Microport, Inc.
so closely resembles Microport Systems.  I think that the collective wisdom
of the net should be reminded of that since it's so difficult to tell (by
your name, logo, advertising, and location) that you're different from your
predecessor with "a similar name".

I think that the net should wait until they hear glowing reviews about how
great Microport, Inc. is; they should wait until those reviews come from
someone other than Richard Ducoty.

I wasn't going to post, but I got some industrial strength email asking me
to answer and clarify.  In clarification, I invite net.attention to the
similarities (other than the name) between Microport Systems, Inc. and
Microport, Inc.  It's Jesus, germs, and Santa Claus all over again, I've
been warned all my life about each of them but I've not seen a one of them.
If Microport, Inc. is different, then _*S H O W*_ us.  Don't promise or
pontificate, _*D E L I V E R*_.  Don't whine at me about some goofy
misunderstanding or labeling problem, just produce, the net will follow.
Don't sit there on the edge of the bed telling me how great this is going
to be, jump in and show us all.  I'd sure like to see Microport back flying
different colors, but today your colors look awfully familiar...

I was `dry fucked' by Microport Systems, I didn't like it, I still don't.
I've been `fucked with foreplay' by Interactive and AT&T, so I don't feel
virginal.  If anyone (not on the payroll of Microport, Inc.) thinks I've
landed too hard on Mr. Ducoty, blaze away.  If anyone (not on the payroll
of Microport, Inc.) has anything good to say, cheer away.  I think that
the net is smart enough to detect a familiar aroma.

If Microport, Inc. can live down the name they've chosen and win the world
with reliability/performance/service, they'll have my vote and my money.
In the mean time, at this site, they share the contempt I feel for their
" a similar name" predecessor.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {att,cs.utexas.edu,pyramid!daver}!ssbn.wlk.com!bill
              internet    bill at ssbn.WLK.COM   or attmail!ssbn!bill