Compatibility lists

Chin Fang fangchin at portia.Stanford.EDU
Mon Nov 12 06:09:52 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov11.143254.2666 at pegasus.com> richard at pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:

>It seems kind of silly that current compatibility lists from all the
>vendors are not available in this forum.  It's not that there's a whole
>lot of data, or that they're hard to come by, but it sure seems like it.
In the case of ESIX, I don't feel the compatibility list is comprehensive
enough, especially for motherboards.  I have tried ESIX rev.B - ESIX rev. D
on several systems assembled using no-name motherboards with good results.
However, they were all exercises to satisfy my curiosity.  I confess these
"exercises" were not comprehensive either (or even rigorous). But if you
want ESIX's latest compatibility list, you always can call ESIX marketing
at Freemont, California.  It will be mailed to you.  I have done so. People
at ESIX marketing are quite helpful too.

>What can we do to get the current compatibility lists from Esix, ISC,
>SCO, Dell, UHC and the others made available here?

What I would like to suggest here is that people contribute their experience
with different hardware using all flavor of 386 Unices. So that other then
these official compatibility lists that you can get from unix vendors, we
here can have a net-confirmed compatiblity list for all 386 Unices.  Anyone
who wants to take up such a project?   Ideally such a list would be distributed
like the really helpful FAQ from virtual technology.
>--
>Richard Foulk		richard at pegasus.com

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
[Rockwell International, Rocketdyne Div.]
fangchin at portia.stanford.edu
fang at rocket.cadcam.rok.com