2-user systems

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Mon Nov 26 06:09:03 AEST 1990

In article <28370 at usc> kjh at pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
| What do you loose if you get a 2-user system?  How is it crippled?
| Do you get root + 2 users?  Do you get only 2 simultaneous logins, or
| only 2 users in /etc/passwd?  I would probably be the only user of such
| a system, but the idea just scares me.  Is this paranoia reasonable?

  Very! Most two user systems limit the number of user logins to two
(wouldn't and reasonable implementation?), while SCO limits the gettys.
So if you want to use the console and ethernet, and two serial modems,
you can't, have a getty on all of them, even if you are only going to
use max two at a time.

  SCO says they're going to look at this, but I don't know of a
committment to change it. Other vendors count all console logins as one,
and allow one other.

  For a personal system there's no problem, you can have a getty on a
serial port for uucp or friends with any of the systems. And all the
users in passwd you're filespace will hold.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX