Intel, Bell Tech. & Unix

Ken Seefried iii ken at dali.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 1 03:05:40 AEST 1990

In article <9248 at b11.ingr.com> richard at xanth.ingr.com (Richard Griffiths ) writes:
>The October 15 issue of Computer Systems News has a blurb stating that Intel
>is dropping out of the workstation market.  When they purchased Bell
>Technologies, they were trying to break in to the low end workstations.

They are dropping out of the packaged PC market (when were they in the
workstation market?).  Electronic News cites several reasons, the most
probable being that they weren't able to garner any market share and
that several of their big chip customers (Compaq, et.al.) were less
than pleased that Intel was competing directly with them in their market.

>  I assume the Blit card is history.  Any ideas as to what this portends for
>their Unix offering?

They still support the BLIT?  What revision of X do they support?

>  I sympathize with Bell Tech, I worked for BiiN, Another Intel success
>story.

There was a note in the EN article that Dimitri Rowtow had been
reassigned to a "staff postition".  I believe he was GM of the
division.

As an asside: is the new versions of the i960 recently announced (I
forget the suffix) the BiiN version?

>"Part of this D minus belongs to God."  - Bart Simpson

I've been there....

--
	ken seefried iii	"A snear, a snarl, a whip that
	ken at dali.gatech.edu	 stings...these are a few of