slip

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Fri Nov 9 12:11:35 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct31.115338.4582 at nstar.uucp> larry at nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>We have SLIP up and running here on nstar - and throughput
>over Telebits is very bad - while 2400 baud appears faster -
>it is as expected still quite - so I guess V.32 is the next path.
>
>Are the new V.32 with v.42bis modems the way to go with SLIP?
>Will it be possible to get throughput in the 15 kbytes range
>with these new modems (in excess of the carrier rate - after all
>the modem manufactures claim throughput in excess of 20,000 bps?)
>
>--
>       Larry Snyder, Northern Star Communications, Notre Dame, IN USA
> {larry at nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar%larry at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
>                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
>         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

We are having a hell of a time getting this to work.

Here's the deal:
	We have one machine which has a bunch of Telebit 2500's.  We would
	like anyone to be able to log in under SL/IP that has the
	appropriate login id and password.

	The problem is twofold:
		1) The system requires a system name when you set up SL/IP.
		   The problem, of course, is that I don't KNOW what which
		   system will call!  ARGH!

		2) It also wants a line name (ie: /dev/ttyxx).  Again, what
		   if I have a bunch of lines on a rotary?!  Grrrrr...

		3) When I go through the motions, it doesn't work.  I don't
		   know if this is me or something else.  In any event, it
		   looks like the data is going across the line, but I get
		   no response back from the remote end (and yet data
		   appears to be going both directions).

	I'm about at wits end.  Does anyone have a solution that works?  I
	want to use my current modem pool, and not split them off onto some
	PC-router solution (which would require doubling our modem
	investment).  I also >must< be able to accept and make connections
	to multiple sites.  We're willing to do some hacking, IF I know what
	to hack!

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]