RLL and ESIX

Terry Conklin conklin at frith.uucp
Tue Nov 13 09:19:19 AEST 1990

I have run my ESIX system on an RLL controller (DTK) with a 65-meg
Micropolis drive (just big enough to hold the O.S. ;-)) It's in constant
use with currently around 4-5 users. I have the entire drive formatted
FFS.

The performance I get out of this setup is outstanding. With just a
stupid 386/20 and the 65M drive, all 5 users see instant response.
Fgrepping /etc  or /bin is that fast. I'm exceedingly pleased with it
and the combined load of C development, nethackers and X-windows keeps
it earning it's keep.

I go on site every day to an Interactive machine, a 386/33 cached with
an 18-mil 100Meg drive. While it's Norton SI (weak, granted) is DOUBLE
my 20-mhz machine's, and it's drive twice as fast, and there's only 1
user, it's barely as fast, and in some cases much slower.

As far as my use has seen, Interactive's fast file system is an
oxymoron. ESIX rev D has really sped things up a LOT.

I am not so excited about the opportunities that lay ahead when I switch
to a Adaptec 1542B w/750M Micropolis drives (especially since I want
them running sync mode) but who knows. I can hope.

Terry Conklin
conklin at egr.msu.edu
uunet!frith!conklin
The Club 517-372-3131 2400 Mnp5