Compatibility lists

Jay Ts jay at metran.UUCP
Mon Nov 12 19:09:39 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov11.143254.2666 at pegasus.com>, richard at pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
> Reference has been made to the compatibility with various hardware of
> Esix, ISC, etc., a number of times recently.
>
> It seems kind of silly that current compatibility lists from all the
> vendors are not available in this forum.  It's not that there's a whole
> lot of data, or that they're hard to come by, but it sure seems like it.
>
> What can we do to get the current compatibility lists from Esix, ISC,
> SCO, Dell, UHC and the others made available here?

Why don't you call these companies, get their lists, and type them in? :-)

Seriously, if you want a compatibility list, the vendors are very happy to
send them out.  Just call up a sales rep and ask.

I'm posting this mostly to point out that anyone who is building 386/486
systems to run any type of UNIX on should aquire these lists FIRST!!!

Also, I've found that the lists should not always be taken too seriously.
There is a lot of well-supported hardware and software out there that will
work fine with UNIX.  I've found the best method for me is:

1.  Look at the compatibility lists.

If you're interested in something that's not on the list, then:

2.  Call the UNIX vendor and ask.
3.  Call the hardware/software company and ask.

				Jay Ts
				Metran Technology
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay