TCP/NFS

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at Kepler.dell.com
Tue Nov 27 12:03:00 AEST 1990

In article <50 at mailgzrz.tu-berlin.de>, elsn4000 at mailgzrz.tu-berlin.de
(Frank Elsner) writes:
> In article <532 at comcon.UUCP> tim at comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) writes:
> >What it is doing now is pci complains about not being able to find my
> >hostname in /etc/hosts (tho it is there) and the lockd complains about
> >something similiar to do with the hostname being wrong.  Now the
> >really weird part, if I telnet to one of the other hosts (a 6000)
> >using the *internet* address it works but if I try to do it using the
> >hostname, it hangs.  Ditto for ping.  If I ping another host using the
> I would guess the problem is the Domain Name Service (DNS). Its usage is
> activated by the file /etc/resolv.conf. If this file contains the one and
> only line "nonameserver" you may run into the problems described.
> File resolv.conf should contain on the first line the domain you're in and
> in subsequent lines the IP addresses of the NameServers to ask.
>
> My /etc/resolv.conf reads:
>                             domain zrz.tu-berlin.de
>                             nameserver 130.149.4.10
>                             nameserver 130.149.5.4

Um, I think this is backwards.  If he has "nonameserver" in his
resolv.conf then the hostname database will look in /etc/hosts for the
host in question.  If that host is there (which it apparently is) then
"telnet hostname" should work.  If resolv.conf lists name servers to
search and they don't have hostname listed then the above problem
*might* show up (although I think if the nameservers don't find it, the
database will still look in /etc/hosts; I'm not sure on that though).
Obviously, host-to-ipaddress mapping is failing here because using a
dotted ip address works (so the network itself is working).

Michael J. Hammel        | mjhammel@{Kepler|socrates}.dell.com
Dell Computer Corp.      | {73377.3467|76424.3024}@compuserve.com
#include <disclaim/std>  | zzham at ttuvm1.bitnet | uunet!uudell!feynman!mjhammel
"oh oh, kwyjeebo on the loose!"