Vermont Views

Chip Salzenberg chip at tct.uucp
Thu Nov 22 06:48:11 AEST 1990

[ Followups to comp.unix.sysv386 ]

According to jgd at rsiatl.UUCP (John G. DeArmond):
>It do not work through curses and instead they invented a "better idea".

This complaint is valid.  Why invent /etc/vvtermcap when /etc/termcap
is 90% of what you need?  Although that last 10% includes most of the
neat display features, like color escape codes.

>You are pretty much stuck with vt100/ansi terminals and the AT386
>terminal as implemented in ISC Unix 2.2 does NOT work.

These complaints are unfounded.  We use VV under SCO Unix, and I've
used it under SCO Xenix, and the console is in fact the place where it
works best.  And if the behavior isn't right for a given terminal,
just edit /etc/vvtermcap; no biggy.

>Plus the screen update is not smart so you end up with really slow
>screens over communications lines.

Yes.  I wonder about programmers who clear the screen by displaying
2000 spaces!  No, I take that back -- I don't wonder about them.  I
worry that they might be writing nuclear power plant software next.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip at tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
    "I've been cranky ever since my comp.unix.wizards was removed