slip

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Thu Nov 1 09:05:42 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct31.115338.4582 at nstar.uucp> larry at nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
> We have SLIP up and running here on nstar - and throughput
> over Telebits is very bad - while 2400 baud appears faster -
> it is as expected still quite - so I guess V.32 is the next path.
>
> Are the new V.32 with v.42bis modems the way to go with SLIP?
> Will it be possible to get throughput in the 15 kbytes range
> with these new modems (in excess of the carrier rate - after all
> the modem manufactures claim throughput in excess of 20,000 bps?)

There is no particular assurance that V.42 works well with slip
or PPP, though they might.  On the other hand, I wouldn't buy a
V.32 modem that didn't include these capabilities.

Now, any changes that affect basic bandwidth, i.e. V.32 bis are
likely to help, but the facts aren't in yet...

Previous comments on slip vs trailblazers have indicated that
interative use of slip is pretty miserable, but performance for
file transfers, i.e. FTP was pretty good.  If you have access to
T2500's, try v.32 slip and see which you like best... There are
also a few poorly documented registers which affect TB packetizing
behavior which you might want to play with...

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com