ksh acting weird under SCO Unix

Tim W Smith ts at cup.portal.com
Wed Nov 7 05:26:31 AEST 1990

<Uhm, why do you think this will work, at all?  In general, I would be leery
<of installing parts of an OS onto another OS.

The reason I wanted to use ksh was to be able to alias cd so that
I could have it set my prompt to include that name of my current
directory, since I usually have about 5 things going on in 5
virtual terminals.

I figured that since I was not going to try to use any fancy
features of ksh (job control, history, etc.), maybe it would
not actually do anything that doesn't work in 3.2.0.  It
seemed worth a shot.  And, considering that your suggestion
below in fact makes it work just fine, it appears that I
was not over optimistic here.

<If you *must* use ksh, do a 'set +m' immediately when starting the shell
<(either as the first command at the prompt, or in your $ENV file), or
<upgrade to 3.2v2 (8-)).

I've done this now and it seems to work fine (set +m, that is).  I
will upgrade to 3.2v2 as soon as two things happen.  1) The development
kit arrives (the rest arrived about a week after we ordered it, but
the development kit is backordered).  2) Comdex must pass.  I may do
crazy things like trying to run 3.2.2's ksh under 3.2.0, but even I
stop at switching operating systems in the middle of a development
effort for two very different drivers (ethernet and SCSI host
adaptor) just before Comdex! :-)