shl crashes SCO UNIX 3.2.1

Tim Wright tim at delluk.uucp
Thu Nov 15 21:53:54 AEST 1990

In <8244 at star.cs.vu.nl> rvdp at cs.vu.nl (Ronald van der Pol) writes:

>I created shell layers with 'mkdev shl', started 'shl' and
>typed 'create foobar'. This crashed the system. Is this another
>one in the endless SCO bug list? Are panic messages saved in
>some kind of file???????? (sorry, I seemed logical to me :-)
>(Compaq systempro/20 MB RAM/SCO UNIX 3.2.1)

To be fair to SCO, this kind of problem is inherent with Shell Layers.
That's not to say they're a bad idea but I never saw a correct (read
bug-free) implementation. The layers code from AT&T always had bugs -
some major, some minor. It could be argued that other vendors should
fix these, but it's always been way down the list of priorities !
I suppose the upshot of this is don't use them :-(

tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Dell Computer Corp. (UK), Bracknell  | Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Tel: +44-344-860456                  | Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
"What's the problem? You've got an IQ of six thousand, haven't you?"