HELP root password unknown

Kenneth J. Hendrickson kjh at pollux.usc.edu
Sun Nov 25 18:15:48 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov20.094505.896 at ceres.physics.uiowa.edu> rlm at ceres.physics.uiowa.edu writes:
>Someone (a hacker I suppose) has changed the root password on our ESIX system
>- is it possible to access the system to reset this?

I HOPE NOT.  If there is, then all ESIX systems are terribly insecure.
I hope you have to have each user backup their stuff, and re-load the OS
off of the original disks and/or tapes.  I hope this not to wish you a
terrible lot of work, but because I am thinking about ESIX, and I
wouldn't want such an insecure system.

In addition, how do we know that you aren't some hacker trying to
compromise some ESIX system?  :-)

--
  favourite oxymorons:  student athlete, honest politician, civil war
Ken Hendrickson N8DGN/6       kjh at usc.edu      ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh