MicroPort Unix V/386

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sat Oct 6 22:31:44 AEST 1990

In article <15 at mcrsys.UUCP> tony at mcrsys.UUCP (Tony Becker) writes:
>From article <1071 at digi.lonestar.org>, by mfrohman at digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman):
>> However much I
>> allocate, it place DOS as the first partition, starting at 1,
>> with the Unix partition following.
>
>This is a DOS thing, It must be the first partition.

No, it is actually a UNIX thing.  DOS doesn't care where it sits on the
disk drive as long as the fdisk table correctly maps it out.  UNIX usually
enforces that DOS be first because it then allows unix to use up the rest
of the disk (including any cylinders beyond 1024 - which doss couldn't
access)

>1) make sure you don't allocate more then 32Mb (dos limit) of cyls to
>   the Unix partitioner.

should be "to the DOS partition when using the Unix partitioner"

>4) if you must boot dos, use a floppy. set up an autoexec.bat on the dos
>   partition that sets the path and COMSPEC to C:...

I know many people that have a program/shell that changes the "active"
partition and reboots the system so that they can reboot to dos and
vice-versa.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170