Getting smail with ISC 2.2 to work

Rolfe Tessem rolfe at w3vh.UUCP
Mon Oct 15 23:24:30 AEST 1990

Dante_A_Nicolello at cup.portal.com writes:

>I am trying to set up smail to send all my uucp transfers to another
>system for address revision. I set the SMARTHOST=smart-host in the
>/etc/default/smail file and set  a smart-host (my_smart_host)!%1
>in my /usr/lib/uucp/paths file. Doesn't work. Either smail or sendmail
>or whatever does not forward the mail. It just sends it back.

I'm glad to hear someone else mention this, if only as a sanity check :-).

I've spent an incredible amount of time trying to make sendmail/smail work
right on a new ISC 2.2 system, to no avail.  Smail is just never getting
invoked, it appears.  Running smail directly in test mode seems to work
(at least the right headers are generated locally).

My configuration is ridulously simple: uunet is my only UUCP connection, and
I simply want everything to go to them.  The problem seems to be in getting the
system to recognize domain addresses without trying to route them locally
via SMTP.  When using bang style addressing, everything works OK.

Rolfe
--
Rolfe Tessem        | Lucky Duck Productions
rolfe at w3vh.UUCP	    | 17 Saint Luke's Place