Choosing a 386 unix

Ken Seefried iii ken at dali.gatech.edu
Tue Sep 4 12:30:56 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep4.002738.24876 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>Uh, John?  Coherent *is* UNIX.  Not SV not BSD, and not 386-specific.
>It is fine for learning UNIX usage (not programming) on a 286 or 386
>machine.

Absolutely wrong.

Coherent is not Unix; it is not even close.  It is a sorta clone
of some of the outward appearance of an ancient flavour of Unix.  It
contains no Unix source code, nor does it do things that Unix has been
doing since the early days of the PDP-11.  Coherent is no more
Unix than Minix or QNX or Idris or Xinu.  If you are interested in
discussing Coherent, I would suggest using the Coherent mailing list
that was recerntly set up, and not muddy the waters of the already
opaque topic of Unix(tm) for the 386, in all it's many varieties.

	ken seefried iii		ken at dali.gatech.edu

	"Vee haf veyz off making you talk...release da veasles..."