Reliability of System V 1K file system

Art Neilson art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Sat Sep 22 14:17:23 AEST 1990

In article <5869 at suns302.cel.co.uk> ir at cel.co.uk (ian reid) writes:

> [ stuff about file system getting hosed when power is cycled
>   without performing graceful shutdown ... ]

Every UNIX I have seen behaves in the manner you describe.  If you
hit the red switch or experience a power outage without performing a
graceful shutdown, you deserve whatever you get.  Most times fsck will
fix whatever mess is created by this, however there are no guarantees
that a critical data won't get hosed.  If your UNIX box is used for real
production work, you are quite foolish not to put it on an UPS.  Just how
valuable is your data to you ???  Certainly more than the price of an UPS,
especially if your business depends on the data stored in your machine.
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art