Wiring terminals 300 ft. from the computer

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Thu Sep 20 14:31:44 AEST 1990

In article <11774 at bsu-cs.bsu.edu> jennifer at bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Jennifer Freeman) writes:
>A company I am doing some work at needs to do some office rearanging as they
>are rapidly filling up the space they have.   They are also about to get a
>multi-user Unix Box running on a 386 or a 486.  One of the proposals is to
>locate the computer about 300 feet away from where the bulk (10-14)
>of the terminals will be.
>What type of wiring would be needed for this?  Would shielded be
>good enough?  Would some kind of line boosters be needed?  We have some people
>with knowledge of micros, but not in wiring multi-user systems.  Any suggestions
>things to look out for,  tips etc would be much apriciated.

You should probably look into one of the intelligent multiuser boards that
supports RS422.

There are several out there.  Anvil's individual ports can be made
selectively RS422 on a per/port basis, and I have seen at least one other
manufacturer that uses a 422 transmission scheme to it's breakout boxes,
where the first 8 ports can be up to 1000 feet from the computer, and each
additional 8 port box can be 1000' from the previous box.  The ports
themselves are rs232.

Using a 1.5Mbit transfer rate you are supposed to be able to support 32
terminals 38k.   I do remember seeing the board, and it may be a Computone
or Corollary - it has an ix in it's name.

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP