Protecting against downloads

Bruce Adler bruce at segue.segue.com
Sat Sep 15 05:00:24 AEST 1990

In article <7772:Sep1408:18:1190 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>And what do you do about text images in core files?

Although I'm not familiar with every Unix implementation, the ones I've
seen don't include the text segment in a core file.  The exception to
this rule is if you've specially linked your load module to place all of
the program text in the data segment (i.e.  non-split I+D).  This is
usually only done when you've a need to modify the text while the
program is executing via a debugger.  But commercial products aren't
usually shipped as non-split I+D load modules.

Core files also don't usually include shared libraries, shared memory
segments, and/or memory mapped files.
bruce at segue.com
ism.isc.com!segue!bruce
aero.org!segue!bruce