GNU and the issue of support

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.cactus.org
Mon Sep 10 16:40:15 AEST 1990

In <57679 at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, boylanr at silver.ucs.indiana.edu (ross boylan) wrote:

> Actually, I recently read (amongst all the GNU stuff) that there are
> some companies which will provide support/hand holding for (some of?)
> the GNU stuff.  FSF keeps a list, and says they are very pleased
> with this development.

This is correct.  Cygnus Software (Michael Tiemann's company I think)
is an example.  They are a service company, not a product company -
they do ports of GNU products and support for it.  For example, a
company needing a compiler for their new HAL-9000 system could hire
out both the port and and the maintenance (both internal and end user
support).  This is likely far and away the cheapest way to get a solid
product in the shortest time.

Now, if someone would just hire out Cygnus to do a gcc/gdb port to SysVr4...
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james at bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789