public access unix accounting & admin

Eric Peterson epeterso at encore.com
Sat Sep 22 00:29:00 AEST 1990

karl at naitc.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) writes:

| I have a program called "subscript" which does this.  It uses a file in
| /etc, called "subscript", and a program called "validate" which is called
| during the user's .profile.  This works for bourne and korn shells.
|
| It does not, however, work for csh.  To fix this, I hacked the program, and
| made it smarter.

I saw a .login/.profile of a user at FSU which was smart enough to do
all sorts of things based upon the machine, operating system, and
shell it was running under.  Basically what it did was run the entire
.login or .profile through /lib/cpp each time he logged in, with
system-dependent code #ifdef'ed in and out.  It took quite a while to
log in at times, particularly on a slow system, but it worked ...

Eric
--
      Eric Peterson <> epeterson at encore.com <> uunet!gould!epeterson
  Encore Computer Corp. * Ft. Lauderdale, Florida * (305) 587-2900 x5208