Specialix cards (was: Welcome to comp.unix.sysv386)

John W. DeBoskey jwd at unx.sas.com
Thu Sep 13 23:40:44 AEST 1990

In article <58 at mq.UUCP> alan at mq.UUCP (Alan H. Mintz) writes:
>Summ additions to Jeff's review:
>
>In article <1990Sep5.014036.10985 at xanadu.com>, jeff at xanadu.com (Jeff Crilly N6ZFX) writes:
>> >	Specialix
>> >		Specialix provides a series of serial port solutions.  I
>> >		have no experience/pricing info on these cards.
>>
>> There are a couple mechanical problems that I noticed with
>> the system.  First, the mating of the TAs is not very good.  It turns
>
>Yup!. Our solution is to remove the back panels of the TAs and screw them down
>to an aluminum plate. We had some of these plates cut and drilled at the
>local metal shop.

   I only have one 8 port TA so I can't comment here...

>> Second, a similar problem exists with the host adapter.
>> The back panel plate that the connector is on does not slide directly
>> into the AT case slot.  Likewise the screw hole is also off.  I had
>
>I haven't had any trouble (really) with the host boards fitting in machines.
>I do find it fairly common to have to bend backplates on various cards
>with various machines. It seems that the PC mfrs and PC card mfrs "loosely"
>interpret the physical specs for add-on cards (if there are any).

   I installed an SI board in a PS2 Model 80. It dropped in without
a hitch.

>We tend to use Specialix almost exclusively for anything more than 8 ports.
>Once the physical problem with the TA8s is solved, it is an excellent
>product. It is a UK-based company, but they also have a (small) office
>in Silicon Valley (with REAL technical people). They have been extremely
>helpful and supportive when we had a hardware failure at a system we were
>installing in NY (they FedExed a replacement for a defective cable to
>New York at 3:00 PM Friday!).

   Credit where credit is due. I sent email to them 10am in the morning
asking about the latest rev of the device driver. Their technical support
called me at 5pm, just before I was getting ready to take off. They fed'exed
the driver to me and I had it the next day. To me, this helps put Specialix
on the top of my GOOD COMPANY to deal with list, and if I ever get the
chance to purchase from them again, I will.

>I have heard that they now have a host adapter that will support up to
>64 ports. I assume from conversations of two months ago that it is available
>for the EISA bus as well.

   I'm not sure about the 64 ports, but they do have a new board.

   The board you're refering to is the Specialix RIO. I won't put
the sales lit here, but here are the tech specs:

     HOST CARD                             My comments
CPU              INMOST225             - Transputer technology
Clock            25 MHz
Form  ISA        Half AT
      EISA       EISA
      MCA        MCA
On-board Ram     512Kbits              - Yes, it say Kbits, not Kbytes
Ext interface    Balanced twisted pair
Range            25 metres
Data Rate        10Mbits/sec           - With a burst of 20?
Max Remotes
  ports/host     128
Max hosts per
  system         4
Max Ports        512
Ave Throughput   6Mbits/sec            - Not bad....

   I'm curious to hear about anyone who has one of these things. I'd be
even more interested in an application that could push one of these
cards to it's limits...
                                         John
--
jwd at unx.sas.com       (w) rti.rti.org!sas!jwd       (919) 677-8000 x6915